A dental infection or abscess can arise for a number of different reasons, from untreated decay to cracked teeth. Without treatment, you run the risk of losing your tooth altogether. However, a root canal can often help save your infected tooth!
Try Our Quiz on Root Canals and Dental Infections
- True or False: Infection can lead to tooth loss.
- True or False: Pain when chewing could be a warning sign.
- True or False: We can ensure your tooth looks natural.
- True or False: We can offer preventive care to safeguard your smile.
- True. Without treatment, a infected tooth can eventually cause the inner pulp, your tooth’s nerve center, to die. At this point, the infection can reach surrounding teeth or move into the jawbone itself. The tooth will need to be removed to stop the spread of infection, or the tooth will eventually become so damaged and brittle it falls out (or falls apart).
- True. Patients with an infected tooth may encounter pain when chewing or biting down, as well as swelling near the tooth. A discharge from the tooth, as well as a fever, can also be warning signs. If one or more of these signs sound familiar to you, then contact our office for a diagnosis right away.
- True. The root canal procedure involves removing the infected tissue, cleaning the interior of the tooth, and adding a special restorative material. We then complete the procedure by placing a custom-made dental crown, which protects the tooth while also offering a lifelike appearance, blending with your smile.
- True. With routine checkups and cleanings, we can monitor your tooth and help you avoid the onset of an infected tooth, addressing problems in the cavity stage. We can also suggest ways of caring for your smile at home, such as proper brushing and flossing.
Do You Have Questions About Endodontic Therapy?
Our team can offer treatment to stop an infection and save your tooth form extraction. To learn more, schedule a consultation, call Pacific Hills Dental in Omaha, NE, today at (402) 330-2243. We also serve the residents of Papillion, Elkhorn, La Vista, Millard, and all surrounding communities.